Evans Head Heritage Aviation Museum
AVRO ANSON MK1 SERIAL NO. MG422
HISTORY – (PROVENANCE)
RAF Avro Anson MG422 was received at No.1 Aircraft Park, RAAF Station Laverton, Victoria on the 15th February 1944 for assembly and testing. After final assembly was completed the Anson was taken on its first flight on the morning of 21st March 1944. On the 23rd March 1944 this aircraft was received at No.6 Service Flying Training School (SFTS) at Mallala, South Australia for the purpose of Pilot training. Before starting service at No.6 SFTS, MG422 was fitted with dual controls (being one of the few Ansons to have this modification). The Bristol Mk VI gun turret was removed along with the LS Mk II bomb carriers. The plane was then painted in the traditional training colour of yellow. The aircraft was transferred to No.67 Squadron and was officially received on the 15th January 1945.
At the time No.67 Squadron was organized into two flights which operated alternately from Laverton and Mallacoota. This squadron used the code MK and before operations the aircraft had its turret and bomb doors re-installed and was painted in the camouflage scheme the squadron used. During its period of operations MG422 carried out sea patrols searching for enemy ships and submarines as well as participating in naval co-operations exercises and searching for missing and overdue vessels and aircraft.
While with 67 Squadron MG422 flew 119.9 hours. On the 18th September 1945 (after the Japanese surrender) MG422 was issued to No.11 Elementary Flying Training School(11 EFTS) at Benalla, Victoria. The aircraft was no longer used for flying and on 30th May 1946 was placed in Category C storage. On the 1st December 1948 the aircraft was removed from storage for a ferry flight to the Care and Maintenance Unit (CMU) Tocumwal NSW. Officially received on the 3rd December 1948 where the total flying time for this aircraft was recorded as 486.15 hours.
On the 2nd July 1953 MG422 was struck off the register. Mr. Ian Dean, a farmer from Violet Town, Victoria bought the plane for £25.00 whereupon it was stored in an open paddock until 1980. During this time the aircrafts’ fabric and wood components deteriorated and parts of the plane were used on the property as nuts, bolts and wiring as these materials were scarce after the war. It was also used as a playground by children who on a number of occasions reportedly started an engine until Mr Dean removed both starter motors from the aircraft.
In 1980 Mr. B. Jackson of Winton, Victoria purchased the remains of MG422 planning to restore it. Mr Jackson stored the plane in his backyard until he was able to build a shed around it where it remained until the 30th September 2002. Mr.Grahame Field of Forbes, New South Wales then purchased the plane planning to do a full rebuild with the hope of seeing it fly again. After Grahame’s untimely passing, the aircraft was purchased from his widow, Helen Field, in Aug 2017 by the Evans Head Heritage Aviation Museum and relocated here in September of the same year. After a period secured in a controlled environment the Anson was placed on display in May 2018. It will now undergo a preservation and conservation process to ensure the Anson suffers no further deterioration.